Rejecting China

Yesterday, my body decided to reject China. I was told that I couldn’t eat in the morning for my health exam for my residency permit, so I drank some water (bottled of course). I felt nauseous all morning. The windows were down on the ride over to the place where I was getting my exam, and the smell of diesel and China in general just made feel worse. When Diana took me to the doctor’s office, my body decided it didn’t want the water anymore. I threw up in the bathroom there. I felt a little better. After that, they drew some blood. There were no rusty Chinese needles; everyone got a new one. We rode back to school with the windows rolled up, but the ride still made me nauseous. When I got back to my room, I went to sleep for about two hours.

When I woke up, I felt much better. Still felt a little weak, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me from accomplishing my goals for the day of playing basketball and walking around the city. I went to go play basketball with the people outside my building. I tried to ask if I could join in in Chinese, but it didn’t go too well. I tried again in English with greater success. It was a lot of fun playing. People started gathering around when they saw an American was playing. Everyone wanted to play me one-on-one. I was absolutely exhausted. They were extremely nice to me. Many of them spoke English, and I make them teach me some Chinese. Whenever I tried to say something in Chinese, everyone laughed. It was a good time, and I hope to do it again soon. I won’t be able to go out and play in about a month, so I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity now.

After I got done playing, I took a shower and drank some water and ate a little piece of bread. Then, I went to my boss’ office to ask some questions. He invited me to go drink a beer together, and I readily accepted the invitation. But once I got back to my room, I started feeling bad again. My body decided it didn’t want that bread and water., and after I got rid of it, I went back to sleep. Mr. Lu came at about 6:00, and I was still sick. We agreed to postpone the beer, but he had me sign an updated contract. While I was signing, I had to go throw up again. After he left, I went back to bed.

I woke up this morning at about 3:00, and I haven’t been able to go back to sleep. I accomplished quite a bit. You can now see some pictures if you click on the link to my picture site in the right toolbar. I feel much better right now. I think I’m going to take it easy today, so no basketball. I really want to take the bus to the river and take some pictures, so maybe tomorrow I can put some pictures up from the nice parts of town.

  • cal clements

    wow, ryan. you were both sick and yet carrying on–playing basketball, signing contracts. goodness gracious. i suppose being that far away all sorts of tiny bacteria are different… the body is going to have to adjust to them.

    i like your idea about creating western clothes, selling them in china, and turning the profits back to the workers. it is like postcaptialistic communism.